Before I dare go into tips for email marketing, I first have to debunk a few predisposed ideas that sales through social media are ‘better’ than email marketing. The truth is, people that are saying this probably are not using email marketing to the best of their capabilities.
Here are a few facts that may interest you:
- 72% of people prefer to receive promotional content through email, compared to 17% who prefer social media. (MarketingSherpa)
- Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter combined. (McKinsey)
- The average order value of an email is at least 3 times higher than that of social media. (McKinsey)
- 89% of marketers say email serves as their primary channel for lead generation. (Mailgen)
- Email marketing drives $44 for every $1 spent. (Campaign Monitor)
- Feeling better? Now that you know the facts, let’s move forward.
Email Marketing is just a branch of marketing. If you are marketing in general, you will most likely use the same techniques. Keep what works for you and move forward through emails. By acquiring emails you have full possession of someone’s data. Through other platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, you are not able to export a username. Even if you were able to do so, it would be rather useless if the platform did not exist. Emails? Emails will never go away. They are here to stay.
There are over 3.7 billion email users in the world currently, which means the projected number of users by 2021 is 4.1 billion. (Statista)
So, now you know the importance of growing your list but, how can you take full advantage of Email Marketing and it’s capabilities?
- People like to see faces, not just brands. By putting a face in your welcome emails and connecting to them emotionally with a story- they are hooked and wish to follow the process of you and your brand. The more vulnerable you are, the more human you are, the more people are likely to promote and advocate your company.
- Personalize your emails. People love to see their own name, they are thrilled for discounts & sales on their birthdays, and they love to be treated as a friend. Friends would know someones first names, know & celebrate their birthday, and send emojis through subject lines and body texts! By the way, the best symbols to use are the heart, the sun, and the umbrella. Don’t ask why. It just works.
- Personalized emails deliver 6 times higher transaction rates. – (Experian)
- Write in the second person. By writing with pronouns such as “you,” “your” and “yours” you are creating a more personalized experience. Using pronouns also pushes for a personal call to action. Some actionable words are download, reserve, take, ask, and buy. A mix of both such as “Download Your Template” makes people want to click!
- Automate your emails. Know that automated emails sell much more than broadcasts. Creating automated emails also makes your job a lot simpler! You create the emails once and they are ready to be sent out. This is where abandoned carts, purchase receipts, welcome emails, shipping notifications, account creations, and even unsubscribe confirmation emails come from. By using your automated emails wisely you can sell more, create coupons, or even re-engage your subscribers.
- Automated email messaging can increase open rates by 70.5%. (Epsilon Email Institute)
- Use Good Subject Lines. Make sure to use 4 different types of subject lines throughout your email campaigns. Notice which one your customers love more and use that specific format for sales. Subject lines are like the cover of a book. People say ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ but everyone does. Everyone judges an email by the subject line as well. You have just 3-4 seconds to grab your reader’s attention and interest them enough to open and read your email.
- Timing is everything. Avoid the inbox purge by delivering your emails between 5am-6am, 8:30am-10:am, 2:30-3:30pm or OR 8pm-Midnight. If you are sending positive emails such as “Bonus!” it’s better to send them in the morning. If the email is something negative such as “Last Chance!” it’s better to send it at night.
- Use Odd & Specific Numbers. I know that we are conditioned to round up (or down) numbers but it is scientifically proven that when you do, people believe you are lying more often. By being specific in your numbers and saying (for example) 11,782 people will want to read the entire number, you will have them captivated longer, and catch their eye quicker than if you were to mention 12,000.
- Have a Google + Account. With a google plus account you can put your logo or a photo of you which will help personalize your brand– encouraging people to open an email from a real person/brand. When using Gmail, your logo/photo will show up on the left side of your subject line. A photo of a person will definitely boost your open rates.
- Include videos in your email. Including a video or gif are a quick and effective way to gain audience interest. Be sure to add a short text that correlates to the video to give a better understanding to the attached content. Moving objects are a big plus!
Including video in an email leads to a whopping 200-300% increase in click-through rate. – (Forrester)
- Add a P.S. with a call to action. There are four components of an email. The subject line, introduction, body, and the P.S. For whatever reason, a lot of people skip 1/4th of their emails! Luckily, after today, you won’t. Having a P.S. allows you to either repeat something that is important (such as a call to action to get that last click) or add something extra such as a gift, bonus, or discount.
We told you we were going to give you 10 tips to improve your email marketing but here is one more! Always give them more. Overpromise and Overdeliver. It shows your clients that you are trustworthy and truly care about them.
Email marketing is an incredible asset to your current marketing strategies. By making time to learn about email marketing, you can grow your business to greater heights. Digital Future Marketing is certified in email marketing, and we are willing to help you and your team generate more sales!